Saturday, May 5, 2012

Laughing it up

Once again, I must say it's been too long since I've made a post.  As usual, so much has happened!  Such is life!  My classes are still challenging and fun.  They end the first week of June.

I just performed last night in a NYC comedy club.  It was the real deal and felt terrific.  I haven't performed too much in NYC because of my schedule, but my goal is to perform at least every 3rd day in May.  East Coast comedy and West Coast comedy differs and I admit I've been nervous that my style wouldn't fit in here.  It's gone okay when I've performed at open mics out here.  I couldn't have been happier that my set went so well last night.  I performed a clean set of comedy.  For some of you that have seen me, I used to perform some dirty jokes.  Not anymore!  It was a NY club like you see in the movies.  A club in the basement with tables for 2 and candlelight.  It was a show where people had to pay admission and had a 2 drink minimum.  That's always a true test for comedy.  If they pay to go, they want to laugh and enjoy themselves.  Free shows are great too, but sometimes there's a lot of drunks, distractions, etc.  I've been invited to perform in this show for the rest of the month if I want.  Yay!

I have a performance at the end of the month with my Voice and Speech class.  We've each been assigned a portion of an Edgar Allen Poe story to recite / perform from memory in Classical American speech.  It's so cool to hear my Classical voice.  My instruction is fantastic and is often called to movies sets and has a lot of private lessons for actors. 

We have a 'drunk project' to perform in my movement class.  We've been working on relaxing techniques that loosen us up and create a drunk feeling with out even drinking.  It's ridiculous, because I feel drunk every class and haven't had anything to drink!!  We each have a character and work in a law firm and will be at a cocktail party.

I had an allergic reaction Hitch style last week!  I was in my apartment and started sneezing and my eyes got itchy.  It started to feel like seasonal allergies, but then my face started to get swollen and my right eye started to close up.  I called the Dr down the street and asked if I could come in.  They stayed open for me.  The Dr gave me prednisone and called an ambulance and I ended up in ER. It was rough not being able to call one of my family members or friends with a car to help me out.  I ended up having a reaction to shellfish an I didn't even eat any.  I've known for years that I'm allergic to shellfish, so I stay away from it.  I didn't know I was this allergic!  The restaurant I live above cooks shellfish.  Before my reaction, I felt like I was being gassed from the scent of food from the restaurant.  I also had washed the dishes and later found out that my roommate's daughter had eaten shrimp the night before.  I washed a plate that the shrimp had touched and didn't even realize it because there wasn't any shrimp to be seen.  By the way, Botox has nothing on the puff you get from allergic reactions!
 
I ran into one of the neighbors in my hallway a few days ago.  He was a really cute guy in his boxers and was trying to talk to me.  I kept thinking this is a cute guy, why is he in his boxers, somethings not right.  The last time I had a thought like that was when a cute guy was dressed in all black and looked 'scrubby' to me.  I thought he was so cute and could clean up and dress better.   A few minutes later he robbed me.  Ha, ha.  Anyway, it was awkward with the cute boxer short guy because I realized he was the same guy that was drugged up last month that my roommate and I had to call the cops on.  He kept massaging and scratching our door and was being weird to the apartment below us.  He also stole our fire extinguisher.  Neighbors!
 
A few weeks ago I was stuck on a broken subway train without lights or air for an hour! Excellent place to people watch and see their true colors come out. The guy next to me was on something and his girl decided to take their PDA to the next level, he eventually spazzed out and ran to the next train. The jock standing next to me kept banging on the door while flexing his biceps, a beautiful girl kept posing a...nd complaining, gorgeous lesbian couple started making out, the guy flirting with me seemed like a good catch until he picked a fight with a young kid over his loud video game, got to dance a little bit with a really fun girls basketball team, an older lady was desperately trying to find light to read her bible, a hippie was on the floor meditating and I was just enjoying another day in NYC!
 
I went to the Museum of Modern Art recently thanks to a ticket my friend Darci gave me.  She visited with my other friends Janel, Kelly and their friend.  We had a nice time hanging out. 
 
Well great to catch up a bit with you!  I promise I will write soon! xoxo

                                                                                              The stairway at the library near me.  I've 
                                                                                               only seen these in movies.
I used to love these Bronco II cars and thought the 
                 guys driving them were hot!
                                                      NYC has a Beauty Bar too!
                                           My favorite Van Gogh painting "Starry Night"  I saw
                                           this in person at the Museum of Mondern Art.  All
                                           the replicas I've seen of it do it no justice!
                                                    A postman painting, made me think of Mom!
                                                                  At the MoMA 
                                               In front of a Monet painting.
                                               Couldn't resist taking a picture in front of the
                                                largest bed in the world!  Just waking up!
                                           I wonder if positive thought will stop this bullet.
                                          Or maybe my hand?  Superman watch out, I have
                                          moves too!
                                                               Outside area at MoMA
                                                    At MoMA with the Virgin Mary, Jesus
                                                    and friends.
                                            Kelly, Jamie, Janel, Darci and me during their visit.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment